THURSDAY: Greek Chicken and Rice Skillet
Lemon, fresh oregano, feta cheese, and Kalamata olives lend loads of Greek flair to this whole-grain rice skillet, brightening the flavor of earthy brown rice. Meaty chicken thighs brown on the stovetop then finish atop the rice mixture in the oven while all the flavors meld.
- 4 (4-oz.) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (8.8-oz.) pouches precooked whole-grain brown rice (such as Uncle Bens Ready Rice)
- 1 (5-oz.) package fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives (about 1 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 thin lemon slices
Serves 4 (serving size: 1 thigh and about 1 1/4 cups rice mixture)
HOW TO MAKE IT:
Step 1: Preheat oven to 450°F.
Step 2: Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat a 10-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan (chicken will not be done at this point).
Step 3: Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, oregano, and garlic. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add 1/2 cup water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Knead rice pouches to separate grains. Add rice to pan; stir to combine. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Gradually add spinach, stirring until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes total. Stir in olives and lemon juice. Sprinkle with cheese. Nestle chicken thighs into rice mixture; top each with 1 lemon slice. Bake, uncovered, at 450°F until chicken is done, about 12 to 14 minutes.