Orange Angel Food Cake
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups of sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon of orange extract
- Optional: 6 drops of red food coloring
- Optional: 6 drops of yellow food coloring
- Place the egg whites in a larger bowl, and let them stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Sift in the flour and 3/4 cup of sugar together twice and set the bowl to the side.
- Add in the salt, cream of tartar, and almond/vanilla extracts to the egg whites. Mix on medium speed until soft chunks begin to form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, about two tablespoons simultaneously, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and the sugar has dissolved. Slowly fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon half of the batter into a 10-in. tube pan. If desired, mix in the orange zest, orange extract, and food colorings in the remaining batter. Gently spoon the orange batter over the white batter. Cut through both of these layers with a knife to swirl the orange color and remove any air bubbles.
- Bake on your lowest oven rack at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and the entire top appears dry. Turn the pan upside down immediately, and cool for about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around the side and center tube of the pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.