WEDNESDAY: Vegetarian Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Flavor-packed, incredibly nutritious, and very filling, this stuffed sweet potato is a triple threat! You’ll get nearly 50 percent of your daily quota of heart-healthy fiber, as well as 25 percent of your potassium needs (which is a nutrient that most Americans fall short on daily yet can help offset the negative effects salt). Want to make it vegan? Just leave off the yogurt—or sub with your favorite non-dairy alternative.
- 4 (8-oz.) sweet potatoes
- 2 1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion (from 1 small onion) (about 4 oz. chopped)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (1 garlic clove)
- 1/2 cup dried brown or green lentils
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 2 cups chopped kale (from 1 [4-oz.] bunch)
- 7/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Serves 4 (serving size: 1 potato, 1/2 cup filling)
HOW TO MAKE IT:
Step 1: Prick potatoes several times with a fork. Place in a shallow microwavable dish; add 1/4 cup of the water. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH until potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes. Set aside, and cover to keep warm.
Step 2: Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Add onion, ginger, and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in lentils and curry powder; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add remaining 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender and mixture has thickened, about 25 minutes. Stir in kale, salt, and pepper. Cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until kale is wilted and liquid has thickened, about 5 minutes.
Step 3: Cut a slit lengthwise in potatoes. Push ends to open slightly. Spoon lentil mixture evenly into sweet potatoes (about 1/2 cup per potato). Dollop with yogurt, and top evenly with almonds and chopped cilantro. Drizzle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil.