According to nutritionists, you can cause muscle loss if you workout on an empty stomach. Your body goes into survival mode when you are hungry and extracts protein from muscles, contrary to its normal process. Losing muscle mass makes your metabolism work slowly and makes it harder for you to lose weight. Furthermore, if your workout will happen on an empty stomach you will not have enough energy to make it better.
These are the some of the best pre-workout bites that contain a complex amount of carbohydrate and proteins:
- Brown rice (1/2 cup) with black beans (1/2 cup)
- Small sweet potato with steamed or lightly salted broccoli in olive oil (1 cup)
- Banana with almond butter (2 tablespoons)
- Multi-grain crackers (10) with hummus (3 tablespoons)
- Oatmeal (1/2 cup) with berries (1 cup), sweetened with stevia or agave
- Apple and walnuts (1/4 cup)
If you eat or drink something that combines protein and carbohydrates 30 minutes to an hour after your workout refills energy stores, builds and repairs your muscles that were broken down and keeps your metabolism working good.
This is what you should eat after workout to maximize exercise benefits, and help maintain lean muscle to aid in weight loss.
- Protein shake made with half of a banana, one scoop of protein powder, almond milk, and hemp seeds (excellent protein source)
- Salad with roasted chickpeas (1/2 cup), light olive oil and vinegar
- Sautéed or steamed vegetables (1 cup) with non-GMO tofu (1/2 cup)
- Quinoa bowl (1 cup) with black berries (1 cup) and pecans (1/4 cup)
- Multi-grain bread (2 slices) with raw peanut butter (2 tablespoons) and agave nectar
- Burrito with beans (1/2 cup), brown rice (1/2 cup), guacamole (2 tablespoons), and salsa